This is a reprint of the first edition of my e-mail newsletter.
For some time I’ve had a newsletter signup form on my website but this is the first time I’m actually sending a newsletter out!
I plan on doing this 2–3 times per year. For more frequent info, see my website or Twitter. Unsubscribe link at the bottom.
- Upcoming Concert: Halo Ballet Première – 24 Oct 2010 – Toronto
- Upcoming Concert: Hockey Story – 20 Jan 2011 – San Diego
- Oksana G. Opera Development Workshop
- Results of Experiment: Can I Avoid Choosing the Music I Listen to?
- Help Me Help You: Collaborative Audience Building
In a previous post, I discussed the difference in our reactions to music when we choose it (active selection) versus when someone else chooses it for us (passive selection). I claimed that the endless choice we experience thanks to Internet technology was making it harder to enjoy passive musical selection.
Upon further reflection, however, I see that I am actually making less active music choices nowadays than I used to, and technology is part of the reason why. So I’ve decided to conduct an experiment: How long can I avoid making active listening choices, and what will that do to the way I hear music? (more…)